Originally houses existed within Friends’ School for boarders and day scholars. In 1919 the system was restructured and new houses were created and named after the former Headmasters Radley and Gough.
In 1945 the house system was extended to four houses due to increasing pupil numbers. The houses were named after hills and mountainous areas visible from the school: Aughrim, Collin and Divis towards Belfast and Slieve Croob in the direction of Dromara.
Each house is represented by a colour: Aughrim (Green) Collin (Yellow) Croob (Blue) Divis (Red).
Aims of the House System
The House system allows pupils from different year groups to get to know and work alongside one another, thereby fostering cooperation between junior and senior pupils and nurturing a sense of service, social awareness and healthy competition.
Each year House Captains are appointed to organise and lead a variety of inter-house events that include sporting and music competitions and quizzes.